Sunday, May 16, 2010

Don't the photo-ops just come rolling by once your camera dies...
Last week my camera got this amazing idea all own its sweet little own that perhaps I would like my pictures a bit more ghostly with the colors all run together. I had to disagree... this does nothing for my photo subjects so if I want to keep snapping happily away the rest of my time here I might have to buy a new one soon.

Ever since, I have been experiencing the hard life without a camera on my travels around Kyoto City.
Yesterday we went to Aoi Matsuri, one of the biggest festivals in Kyoto. We were situated at the perfect spot so we could see the whole procession of courtly men and women walking into Kamigamo shrine to perform rituals. There were a lot of horses present as Kamigamo shrine is connected with those animals in particular, huge wagons I have never seen before, great costumes and so on... I silently cursed my camera as I took mental pictures of the whole thing. Afterward we went on a field trip with my culture seinsei to a nearby shrine to see the beautiful Iris flowers that were in bloom and then we headed back to see the horses race. As we ate the macha chocolate and ice cream that sensei treated us to we watched one of the horses forgetting to turn before it came to the main shrine and gallop full speed through the gate, receiving a big 'ooooooohhh!!' from the crowd.

On the way back of course the scenario was more beautiful than I have ever seen, a farmer was burning stacks of hay which sent thick piles of smoke into the air, in front of a backdrop of the mountains with the setting sun turning the sky orange and yellow. We were not the only ones who stopped and stared.

Today I slept in as I was still tired after Friday's clubbing in Osaka. I took the trains downtown and finally found presents for everybody back home, will be sending a package tomorrow if possible.
I came across the most amazing temple I have seen in Kyoto. I housed a stone that was supposed to be in the dead center of Kyoto, hundreds of pigeons, lots of small statues and shrines. I sat down for a while and read with the sun shining on my back..... these are my favorite moments out here, they make me never want to go home again...

I took some more turns guided by my insight and stumbled across the Kyoto museum. Upon entering I heard someone playing the piano beautifully and turned to find the source. It happened to be a six or seven year old girl at what seemed to be a concert for musical students. I stopped and listened for about half an hour, after playing she sang some nice Japanese songs and then other kids took the stage, a girl playing the cello, followed by a girl and a boy playing the violin. I was completely enthralled by these young musicians but finally tore myself away and entered the museum.
There I was greeted by a woman who served as a museum volunteer and told me if I had any questions I should ask her. She then asked me where I was from and when I told her 'Iceland', she said she had been there 10 years ago. We spent the next hour or so talking and she showed me around the room, telling be about the history of Japan.

After this I found the rest of the gifts I needed and hurried on home.
Now to get ready for a relaxing week after a hectic weekend... :P

2 comments:

Unknown said...

*hugs* sounds awesome, as always :)

hilda said...

oh, leiðinlegt með myndavélina. þetta er hálfgerð fötlun. hmm. við þurfum að redda þessu.
stórt knús frá okkur!