Monday, October 12, 2009

Konnichiwa minna! It is the 11th of October, a beautiful sunny day in lovely Kyoto and high time for me to continue my travel story.
We are making pizza on the third floor communal area, I´ve got my laundry in the machine and the house is quiet.
Without further ado, I will begin the story again.
----------

Having settled for taking the night bus to Kyoto, over taking the very expensive train, we made our way to Tokyo bus station and half an hour later we were on our way! It was with a touch of sadness that I left the hustle and bustle of Tokyo, and also our classmates, but I had a good feeling about life in Kyoto. It´s always exciting, arriving at a destination you´ve never been before so I lost no sleep on the way here. One adventure ends and another begins.

The bus took us swiftly to Kyoto station, at around 6:30 in the morning. Consequently, all the shops and stores were closed so we started walking in circles with our many bags, looking for a place to store them (which we later found out was closed as well) and the station´s elevator that was well marked on the map but nowhere to be found in the actual building. Mysterious elevators aside, there was absolutely nothing to do so early in the morning so we sat down on some stairs and killed time before taking a taxi to Kyoto Sangyo daigaku.

Extremely tired and in a bad need of a shower, we at length arrived in our final destination, as ominous as that sounds. It took our taxi driver some time to find the school´s dorm but in the end, a large white building greeted us, with signs claiming it was Kyoto Sangyo Daigakku no I-house. And what marvels!
We were asigned our own shoe locker (my most prized "possession" in Japan so far), a mail box and our very own room on the third floor.
Some very nice people that had already spent one semester here showed us around the relatively empty house, more foreign students would be arriving the next day.

The following days have all been squashed together in my head due to travel fatigue and general tiredness. We arrived at the I-House on the 16th or 17th and school didn´t start until the 28th so we had a lot of free time to get used to living in Kyoto. I finally got to re-live my dream of living on my own, getting out and buying pots, pans, washing liquid, food... it was pure heaven!
We lazed away the days, getting to know our crazy co-inhabitants, exploring our surroundings and just generally getting used to living in Japan.

The second Saturday after we arrived our school held a Saturday Jamboree which is a festival where people can come to take a look at the school and its various activities. We were assigned into groups and given different tasks such as introducing our native country, teaching some basic vocabulary etc to the pre-school children. My tasks for the day was to play with the kids (which consisted mostly of trying to drag them away from the multi-colored super ball fishing, didn´t really work out) and in the afternoon I was supposed to answer any questions the kids had about Iceland but when we sat down (me, a Korean girl and a German girl) all the kids ran away so we just talked to the japanese college students in stead. After a full day of playing games, having fun and being video taped for some other school festival it was time to go back home to the I-House.

More highlights include dinner with the japanese kids and our tutors (my tutor´s name is Nana, a very nice girl) where we were "introduced", listened to some speeches and got free food. We´ve been downtown, gone to arcades, karaoke, clubbing, had dance parties at the i-house and only two weeks into school there is plenty of drama to go around. :)

This should be enough for now, I´ll be happy when I´ve finished re-capping and can start sharing fresh adventures.

Until next time!

No comments: