Friday, October 30, 2009

I don´t think I have ever seen such a spectacular sight of multicolored leaves floating as gracefully to the ground as when I went to Kamigamo jinja today. Whenever the wind would blow ever so slightly stronger, the leaves let go of the branches and sailed down towards the already large heap of their friends on the ground. This reminded me that autumn will soon be upon us, but I guess I can´t complain since the weather here is still a million times better than the bitter cold and endless different types of snow that seems to be going on back home. I will finally get to experience four full seasons and am looking forward to witnessing the trees changing their wardrobe and Christmas halfway around the globe away from home.  ^^

In other news, life is good in Kyoto. I still haven´t fully come to realize that this building, this city, this country is mine for the next year or so (it´s amazing, I know.. ) but even so, I have begun to forget my daily routine back home and am trying to replace it with a good one here in the land of far far away.
My skin is the darkest it has been for ... well forever I think, and I am getting more and more Japanese by the minute, even though I still can´t remember when to say ohayou (good morning), konnichiwa (good day) or konbanwa (good evening). Went to the Kitagawa sensei´s office today and had a talk about how I am adjusting to life in Kyoto, the classes, the I-House (my dorm), the people, the language etc. I had no idea in what language this would take place but she started speaking Japanese and I just followed suit, not realizing until afterward that I had been speaking Japanese for about thirty minutes, and so I felt very good about my little self as I trotted back home.

I realized after I went in her office that I really had no complaints to speak of regarding life in Kyoto. Sure, I hate how nosy the office at the I-House is and how they make us do these random events (for example mandatory debate contest that I learned from Edda today that is not so mandatory at all!) and keep setting all these rules for us poor residents of the house (yeah, girls are in theory not allowed to enter a boy´s room and vice-versa) but it´s a small price to pay considering the very cheap rent. Also, drama tends to run high in the loony-bin as I affectionately call the dorm but again, nothing all too exciting and usually blows over in a day. Am still waiting for really juicy stuff to happen... maybe I should take matters into my own hands. ^^


Have been thinking about what to do after Japan but decided it was too soon so I took the course to stay blissfully ignorant for a few more months. Would really love to follow some people back home, Italy, South-America.... spend a few months before I have to do my B.A. thesis and find me some more studying to do.

In spite of cold, this evening has been pretty good. Uneventful for a change, but good. Me and Edda made epic dinner consisting of chicken which the lass cooks (that includes spices) to perfection, some vegetables, rice, potatoes and this awesome Japanese sesame dressing... sauce.. thing. And tomorrow we get a visit from Miss Swan ;) which I am looking forward to, so as to not completely become isolated from life back home. Yes, I know, I need to be on skype and msn more...

So, everyone.. miss you lots but am never intending to leave Japan. Sorry. There´s just nothing I can do about that. You´ll have to arrange trips every season to come share the wonders of this amazing country with me. :)
Hope this cold will leave me by tomorrow, I have a four day weekend coming up and am not intending on spending it in bed! Wish me luck!

Lots of love,
besos y abrazos,
-Hildur

No comments: